Thursday 13 March 2014

The wiggles

This is such old news I know, but I've gotta get this out there.

You have all seen the 'new' female Wiggle, Emma, right? With her cute red hair and big back and yellow bow?

I've gotta say, and I know my opinion doesn't make a spot of difference, but I'm not happy about this move at all.

The thing that made me really take notice to the change and care, was an episode that was on the other day. I've looked for it online so I could provide a link with this post but I cannot find it as I'm not even sure of the name of it. 

During said episode, they played a song where, if I remember correctly, the males were all dressed up in suits, and Emma was dressed in a white dress and sitting up on a swing. This little 'old school' scene annoyed me because she was singled out as 'the pretty female' with all the males standing around singing about her. 

I may be overreacting, but it just made me feel like they were setting a bad example (maybe the wrong words) for our little ones. She isn't a goddess, this is 2014 and she should be treated as an equal, not put up on a pedestal. 

I think this is why them adding a female to the group has annoyed me. I feel like she wasn't just added as a member of the group but as a female member of the group. 

Then again, maybe that isn't such a bad thing? Maybe the problem I have is more with the particular scene rather than the new member? I'm undecided.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I agree in what you said she was on a pedestal, I haven't seen this new wiggles, only in your description :) x

    ReplyDelete